The Redmond district of Seattle, UCAS is more commonly known as The Redmond Barrens. Well known for its run-down metahuman ghettos/projects.
At the end of the 20th century Redmond was a center of computer industries in the North American northwest. The Shiawase nuclear powerplant Trojan-Satop had a particular meltdown, creating the notorious “Glow City”. Most humans and metahumans left Redmond after that disaster. Then the Crash of 2029 struck and destroyed the Computer industry. Since then the district hasn’t recovered in any way.
The Redmond Barrens provide a stark contrast to the order and civilization of areas like Downtown Seattle and Tacoma. Redmond is virtually lawless, except in the areas that border other districts. Redmond is also known for its notorious gang fights and violence, scaring many away from the area. Best known gangs of Redmond are the “Red Hot Nukes” (dwarfs), the “Rusted Stilettos” (merely orks and trolls), the “162s” (ghouls) and the “Brain Eaters”. Other gangs in the Redmond Barrens are the “Spiders” – known for their fanatical hatred of Insect Spirits – and the “Crimson Crush”-gang that calls the area east of Touristville around 228th Avenue their home turf.
Redmond is relatively flat, with a few small hills. Snoqualme River passes through a third of the district.
The border with Bellevue is mostly walled and guarded to prevent “undesirable” elements spilling into that luxury district over.
Official statistics estimate Redmond at about half a million; unofficial go as high as 700,000. The number of metahumans is lower than the average for the Seattle area.
Mayor Jeffrey Gasston was elected in 2048.
What little economy is here is unregulated and dominated by the criminal elements.
The only part of Redmond, which isn’t completely a slum is known as Touristville. In this area lots of bars, clubs and discos, controlled by Mafia, Yakuza and the Seoulpa Rings try to extract money from people, which come there, looking for cheap amusement like gambling, prostitution, drugs, chips and alcohol.
- Novelty Hill Sleep & Eat – No-frills hotel and medium restaurant, converted warehouse stacked with sleep cubicles and a cafeteria-like eating establishment
- Redmond Center Hotel – Luxury hotel
- Crusher 495
- Downfall – Bar, fairly safe and clean (for Redmond)
- Redmond Phoenix House – Medium restaurant, Japanese-American cuisine
- Yoshiro’s – Small restaurant, soy cuisine
Bars & Nightclubs
- Banshee – Nightclub
- Jackal’s Lantern – Bar, decked out in barbed wire and discarded Halloween decorations, hangout of the Halloweeners gang
- The Joke – Bar, Yakuza-run, in the ground floor of an old apartment tower that also serves as a base for black-market operations
- The Mad Woman – Nightclub, mostly a sleazy bar with little music and less dancing
- The Skeleton
- Redmond Center Mall – Shopping Mall
- Squatters’ Mall – Shopping mall; squatters have taken over the abandoned mall and sell BTL chips and other black market items out of it
- Squatters’ Market – Run out of a network of derelict factories; squatters, smugglers and general riff-raff sell a managery of black market items including the occasional vehicle. The market is overseen by the Coulson group.
- Hollywood Correctional Facility – Largest prison in Redmond
- Redmond District Courthouse – Courthouse complex
- Redmond District Hall – Government offices
- Carnation-Seattle Ranch – Dairy farm
- Hollywood Simsense Entertainments
- Life-Eez Appliances – Manufacturers of cooking and cleaning appliances
- Monohan Vehicles – Maker of electric cars
- Body Mall
- Dr. Bob’s Quickstich Clinic – Street doc
- Hollywood Hospital – Hospital
- Redmond General – Hospital, center for health care in Redmond